If you bump into me at a write-in, the library, or my local Starbucks this November, I’m pretty sure you’ll find me with my official NaNo 2017 bag. What is in this year’s NaNo bag?
- Lands’ End medium canvas leopard bag – As soon as I saw this bag on the Lands’ End website I knew it would make the perfect NaNo bag. Plus, it is super cute! My old computer bag had gotten a little bit too worn, so I was on the hunt for a new one before November. I was concerned it wouldn’t be wide enough for my laptop, but it fits perfectly and with a little room to spare. It was also 40% off! I love a good bargain.
- Laptop – I love my MacBook Air laptop with the Tiffany blue laptop case! I have cleaned up my desktop, uploaded my Spotify playlists, and opened a new Scrivener novel template, so I am good to go.
- Planner/Agenda – I also love my Kate Spade Large Scatter Dot Agenda. I’m pretty sure I would not be able to function this NaNo without some sort of planner. I’ve tried them all: bullet journal, Happy Planner, and the Recollections planner. None of them worked for me. Trying to figure out a weekly design with washi tape, stickers, and drawings was just too much and honestly too stressful for me. But the 2017/2018 Kate Spade planner is simple enough for me to use. I do still use a few stickers, but nothing too elaborate.
- Moleskine/Blank journal – I have a couple of Moleskine journals that I picked up a few years ago on clearance. It was a pretty big score since they can be pretty pricey.
- Post-it Notes – I always have post-it notes in my NaNo bag, purse, and on my desk. I prefer the smaller ones because they fit better in a book or journal.
- Water – I always bring a bottle of water with me to a write-in or my own writing session, although I am usually at a cafe or restaurant. I always buy something from the place where I write, whether it is Starbucks, Panera, or another food spot. But, I drink a lot. So a backup bottle of water is always a good idea. Voss is my favorite.
- Tylenol – Sometimes when I write a lot I get a headache. I think it is looking at the computer screen for such a long time. A bottle of Tylenol or Advil is always in my bag along with a couple of Excedrin Migraine pills, just in case.
- Starbucks card – I mentioned Starbucks before because that is my go-to spot to write. The girls at my local Starbucks are super nice and they know me by name. They also don’t mind that I spend hours in the cafe. A couple of years ago I was sent a gold card worth extra stars and bonuses. Now I make sure I earn enough stars during the year to keep the gold card. November usually pushes me over the edge thanks to NaNo.
- Granola Bar – Along with my water I like to take a few easy to eat snacks, like crackers, goldfish, or an apple. But my go-to snack is a granola bar, preferably a peanut butter chocolate chip Larabar. They are made with dates, which sounds pretty odd, but they are sooo good! Also a little expensive, but I splurge a little during NaNo.
- Pen – I have a couple of favorite pens, but this year I am using one that I got from Cath Kidston. It is a blue and white polka dot ballpoint pen. It writes really well, which isn’t the case for the majority of my pens.
- Gum – I couldn’t get through NaNo without gum. My favorite is Sweet Mint by Orbit. I have 2 packs in my bag now, which should last me a few weeks.
- iTouch & Earbuds – I could not complete NaNo without music. Music is so important to my writing. This afternoon, I just finished all of my character and novel playlists and uploaded them to my Apple iTouch. I also use Spotify and LOVE it! You can check them out on my Spotify page. I’ll be posting about the different playlists throughout the month too.
- Lip Gloss/Chapstick – It is usually cold during NaNo, though this year it is ridiculously hot. I’m hoping by mid-NaNo we get some colder temps. But I’m getting prepared anyway with some lip gloss and chapstick. The combo of the cold weather and then the heat at the write-ins always make for some chapped lips.
- Hand Lotion – And I must have hand lotion too. The cold weather tends to wreak havoc on my hands. My favorite is Gold Bond, but I recently picked up a travel size of the Aveeno hand lotion. It is really nice and nongreasy.
- Fingerless Gloves – Not needed yet, but on standby in case I do. Sometimes my hands get a little cold while I’m typing for hours and hours. Fingerless gloves warm up my hands while leaving my fingers able to type.
Well, there you have it. A peek into my 2017 NaNoWriMo bag.